The History of Eolian Hall

Our heritage building at 836 Lygon Street, prior to our acquisition in 1968, operated as the Jewish Memorial Hall and Kadimah Centre, and is therefore historically and socially significant in the precinct of North Carlton.

It was built in 1933 and was originally designed to be a centre of Jewish community life, hosting events such as lectures, recitals, concerts, debates, plays and other social activities. Our upstairs Meligunis Room which today houses our memorabilia and historic collection, was previously the Jewish Kadimah Library and a meeting place for reading circles and discussion for 35 years.

(Source: The Hearld Newspaper - 21 September 1932)
Kadimah 1941 (Source: Harold Paynting Collection, State Library of Victoria.)
Library 1941 (Source: Harold Paynting Collection, State Library of Victoria.)
Main Hall 1941 (Source: Harold Paynting Collection, State Library of Victoria.)
Scroll to top
PLEASE NOTE: Our events until August have been postponed and cancelled until further notice. For any enquires please feel free toContact Us
+